Byron Burford (1920-2011) received his BFA (1941) and his MFA (1947) at the University of Iowa. He completed a commission for the Treasury Department's Section of Painting and Sculpture, a mural for the U.S. post office in Houston, Mississippi, in 1941. Burford was the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1960 and a grant from the National Academy of Arts and Letters in 1967. In 1968 he represented the United States in the Venice Biennale.
Burford’s first one-person exhibition in New York, 1966, was reviewed in The New York Times by Hilton Kramer. His work is in the permanent collections of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Walker Art Center, the Smithsonian American Art Museum, the Des Moines Art Center, and the University of Iowa Museum of Art, among others.
Byron Burford died in his Iowa City home, 17 June 2011.